Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Sad News Yankee Fans

                                                                     RIP

It is the end of an era folks; George Steinbrenner died today, Tuesday July 13th, at age 80 from a massive heart attack. Read more details from the Associated Press. This death is a bit personal for me, because I am a born and bred Yankees fan. My first word was "cat", but the second was definitely "ball" and my father couldn't be more proud that I love the game he's obsessed with. My father is a man that has driven around with a "dump the dh" (that's designated hitter) sticker on his car for my entire life; new cars don't stop him, he has drawer full of those things. When I was in my college, I called my father, not the most normal of occurrences, to let him know that I had just finished watching a fantastic 11 inning Yankee game despite needing to study for my impending finals. Later I learned that dad had told mom that he was just so very happy that I like baseball; notice he did not say he wished I had been focusing on my studies.  Although, I have heard Steinbrenner's name most commonly paired with a expletive he was still an essential part of the franchise that is in my blood. My love for the Yankees has never wavered, even when I went to school for 4 long years in Boston, gasp, including during the season in which "The Curse of the Bambino" was broken and someone was killed with a pellet gun during the ensuing riot.

In memoriam of my fallen Yankee brother, please check out this compilation of Steinbrenner appearances on another old favorite of mine, Seinfeld.

No comments:

Post a Comment